From WebRef.orgJump to navigationJump to search
- A curved structure that supports the weight of the material above it.
- A curved structure capable of spanning a space while supporting significant weight.
- A curved or pointed structural element that is supported at its sides.
- A portion of rock left standing at the intersection of a mine wall and roof, to support the roof.
- Curved roof of underground opening. See also: dome
- A curved structural member used to span openings or recesses; also built flat. Structurally, an arch is a piece or assemblage of pieces so arranged over an opening that the supported load is resolved into pressures on the side supports and practically normal to their faces. ACSG, 1
- A part of a furnace; a crown. ASTM
- To heat a pot in a pot arch. ASTM
- One of the five chambers of a brick kiln; also, the fire chamber in certain kinds of furnaces and ovens. Webster 3rd
- The roof of a reverberatory furnace.